Scoops and Poops

This isn't a recipe (thankfully--I don't want to think too much about what it might be a recipe for...). Every once in a while I will post on food-related topics.

This post is about the difference a scoop makes. I recently made the Cook's Illustrated Best Drop Biscuits recipe (which I will definitely post). I didn't have a good portion scoop and have always used a greased measuring cup for the biscuits and a big spoon for everything else. Biscuit dough is not so easy to work with and I ended up buying the Cook's recommended Fantes 16 size ice cream/portion scoop to save myself for next time.

I have a freezer full of drop biscuits already since I make a double batch to have biscuits at the ready, but I made my Flax Bran Muffins yesterday and decided to try out the new scoop. The actual loading of the muffin batter into my silicone molds wasn't a revelation in mix transferal technology or anything. However, I must say that the finished muffins look so much nicer! They're a rounder, more uniform shape and I think that the tops puffed more. Given that the top is my favorite part, this is a good thing! I wouldn't have thought that using a portion scoop would noticeably improve my muffins, but it did.

On another muffin-related note, I used grated zucchini in the muffins for the first time (I added 2 cups). They're very tasty but drier than when I use squash. I would be tempted to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup applesauce to the batter for extra texture deliciousness.

As for the poops, let's just say that a certain Ms. E apparently responded well to the muffin she had earlier today. I was glad it was a day she was with my friend!

Comments