These days, I'm finding excellent results with my oat recipes when I grind some of the oats into a flour and add some whole for texture. The original recipe didn't call for grinding and you could make it successfully that way. The oat flour does make for a better texture, though.
The imperfection I find in this recipe is that I often detect a slightly tinny taste, which I am guessing is due to too much baking soda or baking powder. If it bothers you, you could experiment with reducing the amounts to find the perfect balance of rise and flavor.
February 2017 finally solved the tinny taste: just use plain unsweetened yogurt or whey instead of milk! The muffins will be even fluffier and the tinny taste disappears because of the reaction between the acid of the yogurt with the alkaline of the baking soda.
I got exactly one dozen muffins out of this recipe.
3/4 c. oats, ground into a flour
3/4 c. whole rolled oats
3/4 c. whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. ground flaxseeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 c. chopped walnuts OR ground almonds (optional)
1 c. unsweetened applesauce (I made sauce from 2 apples)
OR 3/4 c. applesauce plus 3/4 c. grated zucchini
1/2 c. milk (suspecting non-dairy milk would be fine; yogurt, whey or kefir is the best)
1/2 c. light or dark brown sugar, packed
3 TBSP oil
Combine 1/4 c . oats, 1 TBSP brown sugar and 1 TBSP melted butter. Distribute evenly over muffins and press slightly to help keep the topping on
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with papers or spray with baking spray. I actually use a silicone muffin mold placed on a baking tray to avoid liners and spray
- Combine the flours, oats, flaxseeds, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, salt and nuts if using in a large bowl
- In a smaller bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and stir well
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir just until combined
- Scoop into a muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes or until golden (mine were actually done a few minutes early)
- Remove from oven, cool for a few minutes, and then remove from muffin tin