The Glories of Ground Greens

Ever since I hit on the technique of using the food processor for greens that I shared in the Delcious but Not Deceptive pasta puttanesca recipe makeover, I've been finding uses for them everywhere. We love the taste of greens, so perhaps everything we're eating tastes strongly of them and we're just not noticing, but I think that finely grinding the greens in the food processor mellows them out. I haven't had any twinges of bitterness or squeaking teeth enamel that I sometimes get from greens overload. Elspeth is going to think that almost every dish naturally has flecks of green in it. I will never lie to her about what the green stuff is and if she turns out to me more sensitive than me and Evan, the greens will go on the side to be added by those who wish it. But I love this new way of using the greens we become overloaded with in our CSA basket and of adding extra nutrition to our meals. The greens also smell soooo green (kind of like grass, really)--very refreshing.

I add these steamed ground greens to all our whole grains and pasta. I think they will be delightful as a thin layer under the sauce of homemade pizza (which I'll make again soon and post about). We already know they're excellent in puttanesca sauce. The possibilities are legion.

INGREDIENTS
1 bunch greens (we do tend to prefer the kale family)
Splash of water

DIRECTIONS
  1. Take the stems off the greens (I use my garden shears) and wash them well
  2. Grind the greens very finely in a food processor
  3. Place greens in a microwave-safe bowl with a lid
  4. Add a splash of water to the greens and loosely put on the lid
  5. Cook in the microwave on high power for about 3 minutes
  6. Use with abandon in a myriad of applications!

Comments