Evan's Waffles

It appears that April is Breakfast Recipe Month here at EATS! Evan has adapted a Fanny Farmer recipe for waffles and we may even like them better than his dad's special Christmas sourdough waffle--at least for everyday baking. Evan's secret is to use three types of flour: all purpose, whole wheat pastry, and cornmeal. This blend works to produce exceptionally light and crispy waffles. In fact, it was her love of them that inspired Elspeth's first four-word sentence (at only a year and half!): I want more waffle. We ended up eating these plain but they'd also be good with the usual accompaniments.

INGREDIENTS
3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour (3.75 oz)
1/2 c. corn flour (not corn starch)
1/4 c. cornmeal
1 TBSP baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
3 TBSP oil (vegetable oil or even melted coconut oil)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat your waffle iron. We've got a Cuisinart (a specially engraved wedding gift, no less) that works perfectly on the number 4 setting
  2. Combine the flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl and set aside
  3. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, add the milk and oil and mix thoroughly
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat well. Evan thinks the waffles were so light this time because he did incorporate a fair amount of air into the batter at this stage
  5. Bake on your waffle iron as directed; find yourself saying, 'I want more waffle'

Comments

Rebecca said…
Hi Laurel!
I just tried Evan's Waffles. They turned out great. I made some sight modifications. I used agave syrup instead of sugar since I'm currently experimenting with the stuff and I used olive oil as it was the only oil I had on hand. I also used a medium-coarse ground cornmeal. The verdict: tasty waffles--the agave was great, I'd go with butter or other veg. oil in the future (which I expected since, as Addy declared this morning, "Olive Oil! That's a dinner ingredient!") and I will grab a more finely ground corn meal next time I'm at the store. The med. grind was fine, just a little grittier than I want in my morning waffle--though I think it would be great for a savory version. I really like this recipe because it's quicker and easier than the recipes that ask for separated eggs and other time-consuming barriers to a morning's waffle fun. This recipe will surely become part of the breakfast rotation.