Cucumber Collins


We are big fans of Pimms No. 1 cup and sparkling lemonade in our house during the summer, but we now have a rival in our affections. A local company called Dry Soda produces a cucumber soda. We thought we'd see what it was like to mix it with gin and lime. Success! I am pretty sure it's the first cocktail I've ever invented. It's less sweet than Pimms, but just as satisfying as a thirst quencher. We've been trying to figure out a good name for it and Cucumber Collins seemed somewhat appropriate as it involves gin and a type of soda. A traditional Tom Collins uses lemon, but we've opted for lime. We also like to serve it in Tom Collins glasses, in particular these very 70s glasses that my parents were shocked I wanted to adopt when they decided to downsize. I have very fond memories of these glasses and always have an internal laugh whenever I use them for guests. If I can combine it with the similarly-styled chip and dip bowl, all the better.

If you can't get cucumber soda, I guess you could try making your own--maybe even making a kind of cucumber simple syrup. I'm glad I don't have to go to such effort.

INGREDIENTS
Ice
1 shot gin
Juice of half a lime
1/2 bottle of cucumber soda

DIRECTIONS
  1. Take a Tom Collins glass or other tall, straight-sided glass, and fill halfway with ice
  2. Add a shot of gin to the glass
  3. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime
  4. Fill to near the top with cucumber soda
  5. Give a stir and serve, garnishing with cucumber or lime, if desired

Comments