Lemon Huckleberry Popovers

I was wandering around texanerin.com and one link led to another and I ended up finding this Lemon Blueberry Popover Pancake recipe. Friday is breakfast-for-dinner night at our house and I figured the family would really go for these. After all, Cinnamon-Sugar Encrusted Popovers are so good we will have them for birthday dessert. I liked the lemon blueberry recipe for its use of yogurt, though I immediately started tinkering. I don't keep flavored yogurt in the house, so I used plain whole milk yogurt that I had strained to remove some of the whey along with some lemon zest. I compared the recipe to the cinnamon popover recipe and when I saw the cinnamon recipe included both an extra egg and salt, I added them, since that recipe works so well. Finally, I substituted wild mountain huckleberries for the blueberries because that's what I had in the fridge. If you can get your hands on huckleberries, definitely try them, but blueberries would also be delicious. You might even try raspberries or blackberries. We all really liked these and they certainly popped over. They are nice the next day, too, with a more custard-like texture.

INGREDIENTS
2 TBSP butter, melted
1 c. plain yogurt (either strained or not--I'm sure both would work)
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
3 eggs
2 TBSP packed brown sugar (or other sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour or regular flour (or gluten-free flour mix)
1/2 to 1 c. huckleberries, blueberries or other berry, washed and drained

DIRECTIONS

  1. You will need to let the batter rest a bit, so use your judgment on the proper time to heat the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. I used the convection setting on my oven the first time but the popovers got a bit browner than I'd prefer, so I would use the regular setting next time, I used the lower temp from the cinnamon popover recipe because I was worried that 450 would be too hot
  2. Use some of the 2 TBSP melted butter to lightly coat a 12-cup muffin tin; use the rest of the butter in the batter
  3. Put the yogurt, zest, eggs, sugar, vanilla and butter in a blender and run to combine
  4. Then add the flour, baking soda and salt and blend until smooth
  5. If possible, let the batter rest at least ten minutes. I made mine early in the day then stored in the fridge. About an hour before baking, I removed batter from fridge and let it come to room temperature 
  6. Distribute batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Each should be about 1/2 to 2/3 full
  7. Sprinkle 1-2 tsp berries into each popover. I'm sure you could also fold the berries into the batter if you prefer
  8. Bake for 15-30 minutes depending on your oven setting. Popovers should have puffed and will be golden brown
  9. Remove from oven and serve


Comments