Chickpea Kalamata Salad

It seems that every year, someone in my husband's family makes a salad that we all can't get enough of. This year, it was my mother-in-law. She has now brought this chickpea Kalamata olive salad to several family dinners and each time I could eat the whole bowl by myself. Today our family is going to a potluck and I knew just what to make. The only problem will be allowing others to take some!
Of course, as much as I love the recipe exactly as Carol makes it, I had to adapt it to what I am likely to have in my pantry. So, while the original calls for shallots, I just added extra garlic because I never have shallots around. I also added half again as many olives because I love them. Finally, I don't have marjoram around so I left it out.
This versions makes a double batch, because a single batch will never be enough for me!

INGREDIENTS
2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
12 dried, unsweetened apricots, chopped
20-30 Kalamata olives, chopped or sliced
1/4 c. parsley, chopped

VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS
Juice of a lemon
3-4 TBSP sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
3-4 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS

  1. Combine chickpeas through parsley in a medium bowl
  2. Whisk vinaigrette together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed
  3. Add vinaigrette to other ingredients and mix well
  4. Let marinate in refrigerator at least one hour



Comments