Lemon-Garlic Marinade for Meat or Tofu

This is a modified version of a May/June 2014 Cook's Illustrated recipe originally for pork tenderloin. Though their recipe wasn't difficult exactly, I used farmers' market pork and it wasn't the size or shape of the kind they used and I only had one, not two, etc etc. In addition, nothing on earth will convince me to use mayonnaise under any circumstances. Even with the flagrant disregard for the recipe, we gobbled it up. However, I realized that pork tenderloin is kind of boring no matter what. We all loved the marinade, though, so I'm using it tonight for chicken breasts. I reserve a bit of it as a sauce for quinoa and, as we are roasting, rather than grilling the chicken, I expect we may have some chicken-y sauce to spoon over it, as well.

In August, I found myself tired of our standbys Orange Tofu and Miso Tofu and decided to see what would happen if I used this lemon garlic marinade instead. Somewhat to my surprise, it was delicious! The second night I paired it with soba noodles and vegetables and it was very well-received. Tonight I'm making it again and will make a noodle salad of sorts with rice stick noodles, green veggies like broccoli and green beans, and some sweet pepper. There should be enough marinade left over when I bake in a relatively slow 350 degree oven to coat the noodles and veggies with lemony goodness. Perfect for the last of the summer heat.

MARINADE INGREDIENTS
Zest of 2 lemons
1/4 c. lemon juice (2-3 lemons--start with what you zested but you might need another one)
3 garlic cloves, put through a garlic press or finely minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c. oil (I used refined avocado oil both times, which can withstand high heat)
1 TBSP (21g) honey
1/2 TBSP (1 1/2 tsp) fish sauce
A few sprigs of thyme, minced

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Combine lemon juice and zest, garlic, salt and oil, whisking to emulsify a bit
  2. Remove a few tablespoons of this if desired to spoon on quinoa or rice
  3. Whisk in the honey, fish sauce and thyme
  4. Pour over desired meat and let marinate in the fridge 30-45 minutes
  5. Cook as desired


Comments