Another Beet and Carrot Salad

The first beets have come in at the farmers' market and I wanted to see if the toddler would enjoy them. I thought of making the original beet carrot salad I published on EATS! years ago, but thought my older child might prefer something with a more interesting flavor profile. A quick search yielded this Epicurious recipe that sounded appealing--using the suggested modifications from reviewers, it had a similar ingredient list to our go-to Easier Orange Tofu recipe, with less emphasis on the orange and more on the ginger. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Asian flavors with beets but it worked extremely well.

As usual, because I had no shallots on hand, I simply added an extra clove of garlic. I also reduced the oil quite a lot, as we like a tart-ish dressing. (Even doing this, the dressing did not make me pucker). Finally, I am reducing the quantity of vegetables here because 3/4 lb each of beets and carrots makes a LOT of salad, even for a family of four. The good news is it holds beautifully for several days. Paired with Evan's grilled halibut and salmon with a garlic-soy-maple syrup marinade (recipe to follow), broccoli, and red quinoa, we had a great Sunday dinner.

I used red beets and orange carrots and blithely mixed them (instead of keeping them separate as Epicurious recommends). The market vendor and I joked that next time I should use purple carrots and golden beets, which were also available! Joking aside, doing that might keep the colors more distinct.

INGREDIENTS
3 TBSP unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce (if you need a gluten-free dish, make sure your soy sauce is gluten-free)
2 cloves peeled garlic
Zest of one mandarin orange or half a full-sized orange or 1 lemon (optional)
3/4 to 1 tsp honey (optional)
1 TBSP grated fresh ginger
3 TBSP olive or other oil
1/2 lb trimmed beets
1/2 lb trimmed carrots

DIRECTIONS

  1. Using a blender or mini food processor, blend rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and zest and honey if using until garlic is finely chopped and ingredients are well mixed
  2. Add oil in a steady stream if possible or just dump into a mini food processor and blend until oil has been well incorporated. Set aside
  3. Using the grating attachment on a full food professor, grate the carrots, then the beets, putting them in a large bowl when done. If you don't mind sore arms, of course you could use a box grater
  4. If your dressing has separated, give it another whiz and pour over the beets and carrots. Stir well
  5. Let marinate in fridge or on counter at least an hour. Keeps very well for several days

Comments