Updated Zucchini Bread

I read with great interest a recent Cook's Illustrated article on "reinventing" zucchini bread. I was intrigued by their idea of dramatically increasing the amount of zucchini in the recipe. Unfortunately, I didn't actually love the result and I determined to adapt my own favorite recipe using some of their ideas. Accordingly, I took my traditional zucchini bread recipe (origin forgotten) and decreased the oil and sugar and increased the zucchini. I made it into muffins rather than loaves for inclusion in lunchboxes or on-the-go snacks. No one missed the extra oil and sugar and this is my new go-to recipe.

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs
1/4 c. oil
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 to 2 lb (24-32 oz) zucchini
3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 c. chopped walnuts toasted if desired (optional)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare one 12- and one 6-cup muffin tins by greasing or muffin liners (or one greased loaf pan)
  2. Wash and grate the zucchini (I use the grating attachment of my food processor) and then wring it out very well in a tea towel. You want the zucchini to be quite dry
  3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and then add the oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well
  4. Stir in the zucchini
  5. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, leaveners and cinnamon
  6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir gently
  7. Fold in nuts, if using
  8. Portion into the muffin cups (or pour into the loaf pan)
  9. For muffins, set timer for 30 minutes and then test for doneness. They might need a few more minutes. For a loaf, expect it to take about an hour
  10. These muffins freeze quite well and are very nice toasted

Comments