When I made it today, I forgot the ginger at first and learned that it is really important to the end result. Without it the dip was boring and unmemorable.
Of course, I changed the initial recipe. I omitted the lime juice because I felt it was tart enough and then I messed with the proportions a bit so that you can use one 1/8 cup (2 TBSP) measure for everything--in some cases scant, in others overflowing. The fewer dishes I need to dirty, the more often I will make a recipe. Finally, I added some grated garlic because I had the Microplane out anyway and I love the ginger/garlic combination.
1/8 c. (2 TBSP) miso paste; I use shiro (white) miso
1/8 c. rice wine vinegar
1/8 c. (scant) honey
1/8 c. (very scant) sesame oil
1 tsp grated ginger, or to taste
1/2 clove garlic, grated or to taste (be careful--raw garlic gets stronger with time)
- Whisk miso paste and rice vinegar together in a small bowl until the miso is dissolved
- Whisk in remaining ingredients
- Taste and adjust flavored as desired
- Serve with cut raw vegetables
- Store remainder in fridge