Pumpkin Mini Muffins

These are a real hit on hard-boiled-egg-Thursdays along with some grapefruit. I love my flax bran muffins with pumpkin but it is nice to have a lighter option as well when it acts as a side dish rather than the main event.

I follow texanerin's recipe nearly to the letter with a few changes to suit my taste. First, I really think they're just a tad too sweet so I recommend a scant cup of maple syrup (14 TBSP instead of 16, if you want to be precise). Also, because I use spelt, with its softer crumb, I also like to add 1/4 cup of ground flax seed for a little bit of body. Because I am not a fan of nutmeg in sweet dishes, I use ground allspice instead. Finally, I double the recipe so I can use a whole can of pumpkin at a time and also have lots for the freezer. This recipes makes enough for 24 mini muffins plus 3-4 full size muffins.

(Oh, you may notice I don't roll mine in cinnamon sugar as Texanerin does after baking either. Way too fiddly for me and the family likes them just the way they are.)

INGREDIENTS

218g ground whole-grain spelt
1/4 c ground flax seed (optional)
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (or 1/2 TBSP)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves (or the spice mix of your choice)
1/2 c (112g) melted coconut oil or avocado or other oil
1 c scant maple syrup (about 14 TBSP)
1 15 oz can pumpkin or squash puree

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 24-cup mini muffin pan fully and put about 4 regular size muffin cups in a standard muffin pan
  2. Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside
  3. Measure the oil and maple syrup into a large glass measuring cup (to minimize dishes!) and whisk together, then whisk in the pumpkin purée
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just blended. I like to let the mixture sit for 10 minutes for the spelt to absorb the liquid better
  5. Fill the muffin cups to the top (this is what I do, anyway) and then bake for 20-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
  6. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before removing from the pans to finish cooling. Freezes well










Comments