Garlic-Crusted Pork Roast

Here's one we don't make every day, but we thoroughly enjoy it when we do! Thankfully the whole family loves garlic, because I don't think I could get through many meals without it except some breakfasts. The garlic crust on the roast is just delightful and worth a splurge.

The original recipe comes from Bruce Aidell's and Denis Kelly's The Complete Meat Cookbook and I believe this may be the only recipe I've used from there. We are definitely carnivores but most often meat is not the center of the plate so I have little experience with roasts and steaks and chops.

We get a roast from our favorite farm, the only downside being I have to thaw it first so this meal takes a bit of planning ahead. Other than that, it is extremely simple. I use my Simplest Everyday Pan Sauce with the drippings and we all slurp up the results. Today I'll serve along side farro and asparagus, but mashed potatoes also do a great job of soaking up every last bit of goodness.

You'll need at least 2 hours for the meat to marinate.

I have taken to doing two roasts at once, slicing and then freezing in one-night-of-dinner portions with accompanying portions of pan sauce. It’s not twice the effort and it is super special to be able to pull something so delicious out with very little extra work.

INGREDIENTS
1 4 to 5 lb bone-in pork loin roast or 3.5 to 4 lb boneless (they specify center-cut but I usually don't have so many choices. The only important thing is that you don't want pork tenderloin). I just go with the size I can get at the farmers' market, or split up a regular roast so we can enjoy two separate times

6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 TBSP salt
1 TBSP finely minced sage or 2 tsp dried sage
1 TBSP finely minced rosemary or 2 tsp dried rosemary (I often use less rosemary because I find it such a strong flavor, so use the herbs to your taste)
1 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1 TBSP olive oil

For the pan sauce, you'll need an additional 1 cup of stock and 1 cup of white wine or vermouth

DIRECTIONS

  1. Prepare your roast. Usually for me this means not doing much of anything but you could separate the meat from the bones and then tie the bones back on after applying the marinade
  2. Using a mortar and pestle or a food processor or mini chopper, mince the garlic and salt together to form a paste, then add the herbs, pepper and olive oil
  3. Slather all over the roast, place on a rack in a roasting tray (bone side down if applicable), cover with plastic or foil and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to overnight
  4. If you've refrigerated for more than 3-4 hours, bring the roast out of the fridge for an hour before roasting
  5. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, once heated, place roast in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Then lower the heat to 300 degrees F and roast an additional 1-1.5 hours. If you have a probe thermometer than can stay inside the roast, use that and take out when the inside reaches 145 to 150 degrees F
  6. When the meat is done, remove from oven and tent loosely with foil for 20 minutes or so. You can make the pan sauce while you wait
  7. Carve and serve





Comments