Peanut Sauce

This recipe has been adapted from Dana Jacobi's Natural Health Cookbook. I don't make as many things from this book as I used to, but this is the only peanut sauce I make. The Chewy Carrot Cookies are good, too; I'll post that recipe someday.

As usual, I've made some modifications. One day, wanting to make this dish, I realized that I didn't have any Chinese 5 spice powder. I shrugged my shoulders and used the Hot and Fragrant Curry Powder from the Savory Lentils recipe instead. It was delicious and now I don't bother with the 5 spice. Jacobi serves this with a millet/rice combo, but you could serve it over anything.

This recipe doubles very easily and freezes well. I love it because we almost always have all of the ingredients on hand and it's quick to put together.

INGREDIENTS
1 TBSP sesame oil
1 small onion, diced
1 TBSP minced garlic (I probably use more than this)
1 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (we've used Tabasco and Sriracha with good results--could be omitted)
1/4 c soy sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4- 1 tsp cayenne (we'd probably omit this for a meal with Elspeth)
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice or Hot and Fragrant Curry powder (or garam masala)
1 cup peanut butter--we like the Woodstock Farms natural (but slightly sweetened) peanut butter we get at PCC)
1 cup water
3 TBSP maple syrup
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 cup chopped parsley (I've omitted this many times if we don't have any around)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Place the oil, onion, and garlic in a small skillet over medium heat
  2. Saute until the onion is translucent about 3 to 5 minutes
  3. Add the pepper sauce, soy sauce and spices and cook for two minutes
  4. Combine the peanut butter, water, maple syrup, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until well mixed
  5. Add the onion mixture to the food processor and pulse a few more times
  6. Return to skillet and heat slightly, if desired
  7. Serve with steamed or sauteed greens and cubed tofu over a grain (millet/brown rice, couscous, barley, quinoa, etc)

Comments