Sesame Ginger Miso Dipping Sauce

I'm not sure why I was on the hunt for a miso dip, but I was. I wanted something we could use for dipping with raw cut veggies as an antidote to the inevitable "Mom-I'm-hungry-when's-dinner?". I hit gold on allrecipes. In fact, so much did my children love the dip that they ploughed through a container of cut vegetables that I'd meant to last for a few days in fifteen minutes flat. I particularly love this dip because you don't have to drown your food in it--a little dab will do you. One recipe make enough for several days for a four-member family.

When I made it today, I forgot the ginger at first and learned that it is really important to the end result. Without it the dip was boring and unmemorable.

Of course, I changed the initial recipe. I omitted the lime juice because I felt it was tart enough and then I messed with the proportions a bit so that you can use one 1/8 cup (2 TBSP) measure for everything--in some cases scant, in others overflowing. The fewer dishes I need to dirty, the more often I will make a recipe. Finally, I added some grated garlic because I had the Microplane out anyway and I love the ginger/garlic combination.

INGREDIENTS
1/8 c. (2 TBSP) miso paste; I use shiro (white) miso
1/8 c. rice wine vinegar
1/8 c. (scant) honey
1/8 c. (very scant) sesame oil
1 tsp grated ginger, or to taste
1/2 clove garlic, grated or to taste (be careful--raw garlic gets stronger with time)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Whisk miso paste and rice vinegar together in a small bowl until the miso is dissolved
  2. Whisk in remaining ingredients
  3. Taste and adjust flavored as desired
  4. Serve with cut raw vegetables
  5. Store remainder in fridge


Comments