Homemade Crunch Bars

This is so easy it doesn’t even really need a recipe but I want to remember what I did for next time. I’ve become disenchanted with Easter. I’m tired of the “worthy”, slightly less chemical-filled options like yogurt-covered raisins and freeze-dried fruit that the Easter bunny often brings and yet I’m unwilling to embrace fully the typical Easter candy, especially the chocolate, which is usually terrible.

Somewhere I saw a reference to making homemade crunch bars and I decided to investigate. When I found out it’s just crisped rice cereal and melted chocolate, I figured it was worth a shot. The great part about making it myself is that I can use ingredients I can live with, like whole grain rice cereal and dark chocolate while still making something the kids will like.

I started with Food52’s recipe and made it my own by halving the recipe (at least for my test batch), doubling the dark-to-milk chocolate ratio and making them cute-as-button by putting them in a mini muffin tin lined with Easter bunny wrappers.

Not sure yet how the girls will like them, but if nothing else I’ve found a tasty rival to Trader Joe’s Nutty Bits. They’re the perfect need-a-little-something-sweet after dinner treat and they took less than 5 minutes to throw together.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 c crisped rice cereal, whole grain if desired
4 oz milk chocolate, broken up or chopped
8 oz dark chocolate, broken up or chopped (or any mix of chocolate bars to make 12 oz)
Kosher or Maldon salt, if desired

DIRECTIONS

  1. Line a 24-cup mini muffin tin with wrappers of your choice and set aside
  2. Measure out your crisped rice cereal and have it ready
  3. Put the broken or chopped chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl large enough to add the cereal. Heat at 50% power for 2 minutes, then stir. If it’s not totally melted, continue heating at 50% power in 30-second bursts
  4. Stir the chocolate well when it’s fully melted, then add the rice cereal and stir until it’s fully coated. Add more or less cereal depending on your preferences 
  5. Scoop the rice and chocolate mixture and put into the muffin liners. It should make almost exactly 24
  6. If desired, sprinkle the tops with a bit of kosher or Maldon salt
  7. Freeze candies until set. Store in the fridge or freezer (at least that’s what Food52 says. I’m going to see what happens if they’re kept at room temperature. There’s nothing that will spoil)




Comments