Instant Pot Squash Soup

This is simply my regular Roasted Squash Soup updated to the red lentil variation and adapted for the Instant Pot. I’ve not managed to convinced my youngest child about squash or sweet potatoes (except in baked goods or pie) but the older one really loves this silky soup. So every autumn I make a batch for her and freeze it in lunch-sized portions for her to take in a thermos all winter. I like to think of it like sending a hug to school with her.
I like to roast the squash first though I wonder if you could get a reasonable result without it. I suspect that you would need to increase the cooking time and though the red lentils wouldn’t need that I doubt it would hurt them since the goal is a smooth puréed soup.

INGREDIENTS
2 TBSP olive oil
cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (I use my mini chopper or a garlic press for this)
1 onion OR 2 leeks, chopped (if desired--I think I might often season only with garlic)
1-2 tsp ground coriander (I feel this is the secret to the tastiness)
1-2 tsp ground cumin (I prefer to add slightly less cumin than coriander)
1-2 tsp smoked paprika OR
1/2-1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder depending on your spice preference
1/8-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I don't want a sweet soup, but I love adding a dash of cinnamon to savory dishes like this soup and chili)
3-5 large carrots, chopped or sliced into rounds (or an equivalent amount of smaller carrots)
1 roasted red, yellow or orange pepper, chopped (optional--last time I didn't use any)
Flesh of 2 small, or 1 medium or large roasted squash, in large chunks
1 cup dried red lentils, picked over and rinsed
8-10 cups water or stock or enough to just cover the rest of the ingredients by about 1 1/2 inches
Salt, pepper to taste
Champagne or cider vinegar to taste

DIRECTIONS
  1. Use the sauté mode in the Instant Pot. Add the oil and sauté the garlic and onion/leeks (if using) until soft but not browned. It’ll smell wonderful. You might want to use the lower sauté setting on the IP so the garlic doesn’t burn
  2. Add the spices and cook another couple of minutes. I don't know if the flavors are really better using this technique, but I like to do it this way to let them bloom in the oil.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients. Close the Instant Pot and set to Manual for 10 minutes on high pressure. I suspect this is more than is really required. It’s possible that even 5 minutes at high pressure would do the trick but you want to make sure the carrots are nice and soft
  4. Puree the soup. I have an immersion blender, which makes things much easier, but you could do this in batches in a blender. However, if using a regular blender, I'd be tempted to make the soup a day ahead and cool without pureeing. Puree the cold soup and then simply reheat.
  5. Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings. Cider vinegar was a great addition this last time.
  6. This soup goes especially well with Drop Biscuits. Sauteed greens are an excellent side dish. I sometimes plop them in my soup bowl. It also freezes extremely well for winter lunches. My kids like little strips of prosciutto or crumbled herbed feta as toppings

Comments