Vegetables Roasted in Garlicky Sauce

This Kitchn recipe is a cousin of the Clementine Aioli recipe I’ve long loved but often forget about. Both recipes combine garlic with oil, an acid and salt. In the Kitchn version it’s a bit of rice vinegar with lemon squeezed on after (which I never remember to do), whereas the clementine aioli uses orange juice and zest. 

The main difference is that the Kitchn recipe has you roast the veg at high heat to get it charred. My kids adore this. I’ve only used it with broccoli but I imagine it would work with cauliflower as well. I’m going to try using the clementine aioli in the same fashion and see if it gets bitter or otherwise unpalatable. 

My main adaptations of the Kitchn recipe are simplification and a roasting at a lower heat.

This amount of sauce makes enough for a couple of nights of broccoli. I like to make it up ahead of time and keep it in a container and then toss with the broccoli right before roasting (as opposed to roasting a big batch of broccoli and eating leftovers—I think it tastes best fresh out of the oven)

INGREDIENTS 

4-6 cloves garlic peeled and finely minced or put through a press
1 tsp kosher salt
1 TBSP rice vinegar
1/4 c olive oil
Lemon juice and red pepper flakes to garnish, optional

Broccoli or cauliflower washed and cut into bite-sized pieces

DIRECTIONS
I’ve found that using an immersion blender gives me the best results here as I don’t have a mini-food processor, the blender is fiddly and the quantity is not enough to work in my 16-cup food processor
  1. Place the minced garlic, salt and vinegar in a jar wide enough to fit the immersion blender. Blend for a few seconds to dissolve the salt
  2. Pour in the olive oil and blend until emulsified. When I do this I get a thick, gloopy, gorgeous-smelling sauce
  3. Take half the sauce and refrigerate for use at another meal the same week
  4. Put the prepared vegetables on a baking tray (I line mine with Silpat but you don’t have to do this) and thoroughly coat with the remaining half of the sauce. I use my (clean) hands for this 
  5. Roast in a preheated 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, stirring about halfway through. The broccoli is done when it can be easily pierced with a fork and is charred in spots


Comments