Cinnamon-Sugar Cream Scones

We don’t use heavy cream all that often, but when we do we often have some left over. My go-to is to use the King Arthur Flour Cream Tea Scones recipe with a cinnamon-sugar flair. I simply scale the recipe up or down based on how much cream I have. (So always measure out your cream first to figure out your proportions). I use 100% whole grain flour, as I do in nearly all my baking.

If I’m feeling fancy, I’ll use light or dark muscovado sugar for the filling. It’s not necessary and I don’t know that it even makes that huge a difference but as we have it on hand it’s fun to use it.

INGREDIENTS

361g whole wheat pastry flour or a roughly equal combination of hard red wheat and whole spelt
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp fine salt
1/4 c (50g) granulated sugar
1 1/3 to 1 1/2 c heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c light or dark brown sugar (or light or dark muscovado)
1 TBSP ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and prepare a baking sheet by greasing or lining it with parchment or Silpat
  2. Stir together the dry ingredients in a large bowl
  3. Add the vanilla to the cream in your measuring jug
  4. Stir the cream/vanilla in to the flour. I like to use a dough whisk so it doesn’t clump up too much as it would with a regular whisk
  5. The dough should come together, but if it seems dry, just add a bit more cream. If you’ve run out of cream, add milk
  6. Bring the dough together into a ball
  7. Lightly flour a work surface (I never bother using home-milled flour for this and just use AP white flour) and turn the dough out onto it
  8. I like to use a rolling pin and my hand to pat it into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. I’m terrible with measurements so I can’t tell you how big the rectangle should be. Just do what makes sense, keeping in mind the scones will get thicker as you’ll be rolling them. You’ll be folding along the long edge
  9. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on your rectangle
  10. Using a bench scraper, spatula or other tool, gently roll the rectangle into a log. It may crack and that’s fine; just stick it back together as best you can
  11. Cut the log into 8 or 12 equal pieces. I like to lay them so that the swirl is flat on the baking tray
  12. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden with no gloopy bits in the middle 


Comments