Cherry Coconut Almond Cake

Here is another modified recipe from Yossy Arefi’s Snacking Cakes. I made it once as-written and we all loved it but it wasn’t quite right for our tastes plus I wanted to make the bigger version the next time as we like to have a snacking cake with our afternoon tea more than one or two days of the week. 

For this recipe, besides doubling it, I used whole grain flour, runny yogurt instead of buttermilk, almond extract instead of coconut extract along with the vanilla for flavoring, decreased the sugar by 75g, and decreased the oil by one third. So really my recipe is closely inspired by Arefi’s but definitely takes its own turn. If you don’t like it, blame me not her!

INGREDIENTS

225g plus 2 tsp sugar
4 large eggs
2 c runny yogurt, yogurt + whey or yogurt + milk
140g coconut oil, melted (though you could also use canola or another neutral oil)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
256g whole wheat pastry flour
110g almond flour (I’m sure you could use almond meal but I had superfine almond flour so used that)
80g plus 2 TBSP unsweetened finely shredded coconut
4 tsp baking powder
280g cherries (fresh or frozen, tart or sweet), halved
1/4 c slivered or sliced almonds

DIRECTIONS

  1. Make sure your oven rack is in the middle position and preheat over to 350 degrees F. I used convention bake. Grease a 9x13 pan with butter or oil or cooking spray. Arefi wants you to do a parchment sling but that is way too fiddle for a snacking cake in my opinion so I do not bother
  2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and foamy. I use my hand mixer but you could do it by hand
  3. Add the yogurt, oil, extracts and salt and mix until very smooth. Why she has you put the salt in with the wet ingredients I do not know. It seems more logical to put with the dry ingredients so do what you prefer
  4. Whisk in the wheat flour, almond flour and baking powder and mix until there are no lumps or streaks of flour
  5. Pour into the prepared pan and tap on the counter to release any big air bubbles
  6. Evenly distributed the cherries over the top of the cake, then spread on the 2 TBSP coconut, 1/4 c almonds and 2 tsp sugar
  7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (besides cherry juice)
  8. Let cool before serving




Comments