Really Good One-Bowl Chocolate Cake

This is a much-modified version of the Fudgy Chocolate Cake recipe from Yossy Arefi’s Snacking Cakes, which I have posted about more than once here. As with all of the other recipes in this book, in order to make it work for us, I needed to dramatically reduce the oil and in this case changed the amount of flour.

Arefi calls this cake “dense, fudgy and super chocolatey”. Note that in this version, the cake is not dense or fudgy. Instead, it’s light and fluffy but deeply chocolatey and not too sweet. Our family wouldn’t have it any other way.

Because I like to portion out my treats before baking, I just made it as cupcakes this time and got a baker’s dozen. Next time I’d fill my cups a bit less full as they got a bit pointy so I’d guess you could get 16 cupcakes.

The kids most often make this recipe and use regular all-purpose flour but I am confident it would be as delicious with whole wheat pastry flour/soft white wheat.

INGREDIENTS

175 g granulated sugar
2 eggs, large
1 c buttermilk or whey/milk combination or runny yogurt or Greek-style yogurt thinned with whey or milk
30 g neutral oil 
55 g (4 TBSP) unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 kosher salt
68 g unsweetened cocoa powder (we use Cacao Barry Extra-Brut)
175 g all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour/soft white wheat
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
60 ml hot coffee (we do 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder with 1/4 c hot water for a strong flavor)
55 g chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. We often use mini chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12-cup and 6-cup muffin tin (or spray with cooking spray or brush with oil)
  2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until pale and foamy. You can do this by hand for sure, but an electric hand mixer does it in a snap
  3. Add the buttermilk, oil, butter, vanilla and salt (I pre-mix them together in my measuring jug and pour them in together). Again you can use a whisk or your hand mixer
  4. Add the cocoa powder and carefully whisk. If you use your mixer be careful to avoid a poof of cocoa powder as it is hydrophobic and will not want to mix with the liquid ingredients at first
  5. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda. At this point I like to switch to a dough whisk but you can continue to use a regular whisk or hand mixer. I like a dough whisk because the batter doesn’t get stuck in the tines. I use a rubber or silicone spatula to scrape down the sides
  6. Stir in the coffee, mixing well, then add the chocolate chips/chopped chocolate and stir
  7. Fill the muffin wells 2/3 to 3/4 full (I use a large metal scoop for this)
  8. Bake for 18-25 minutes, checking doneness with the toothpick or baking straw. There should be no gooey batter clinging to the stick
  9. Remove from oven and let cool, then enjoy





Comments