Squash Gingerbread Waffles


Many thanks to my friend Rebecca (who will always be 'Becky' to me, I'm afraid), for this recipe. She found it on a message board somewhere, but we have no original source for attribution. She made some alterations and then I made a (very) few of my own.

I have a working oven again (heavens be praised), and we'd been accumulating winter squashes from our CSA, so I roasted up a big batch and made a mixed puree of butternut, acorn and kabucha (or delicata). I'd been hankering to try this recipe and found time to do so this morning. Elspeth was my kitchen helper and between the two of us it didn't take much effort to whip up a batch. The recipe makes lots of waffles and they're more filling than Evan's Waffles, so you can freeze the leftovers and enjoy them on cold winter mornings.

We ate them plain, but I think they would also be tasty with pear-clove sauce.

I used homemade roasted, pureed squash, but of course you could also use canned pumpkin.

INGREDIENTS
3 c. (15 oz) whole wheat pastry flour or 2 1/4 c. (11.25 oz) ww pastry flour + 1/2 c. almond meal +  1/4 c. ground flaxseed
2 TBSP baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
4 large eggs
1/3 c. maple syrup
1 c. squash or pumpkin puree
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. molasses
1/2 c. vegetable or coconut oil

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat waffle iron
  2. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients and set aside
  3. Beat eggs and maple syrup until fluffy, then beat in pumpkin, milk, molasses and oil
  4. Stir the wet mixture into dry ingredients in the large bowl until just moist. Do not over-stir
  5. Add a large spoonful of batter to the waffle iron and cook according to your waffle iron's specifications
  6. Top with your favorite waffle toppings


Comments